Monday, April 23, 2007

Santa Barbara

I was out in Santa Barbara, California this past weekend to help shoot a wedding with one of my high school friends, Chris Humphreys. Chris is a fantastic wedding photographer who is currently based in southern California, and if you are looking for someone who will never let you down (besides me, of course!), he's the guy! It's kind of strange how in high school, photography was not even on our radar screens but many years later, we have taken our own paths to become what we are now.

Anyways, Chris has come back home to Barrington a couple of times to visit family and has been lucky enough to tag along with me to a couple of Northwestern football games. It was about time to reverse roles, so I headed out to Southern California to meet up with some old friends, and of course, to shoot a wedding with Chris and his wife Katie.

I always joke around with Chris about how much I have, as a lowly sports photographer, made him a better shooter: the back-button auto-focus trick, the recalibration of his lenses so his AF actually worked right, center-point/peripheral point focus accuracy, and custom white balancing. Of course, I couldn't resist trying to pass him some more of my technical advice to help improve his image quality and sharpness such as center vs peripheral AF point accuracy and custom white balancing. I also argued against the focus-recompose technique and to start cropping his photos (or at least use high-sensitivity peripheral AF points to compose), but he wouldn't buy any of it. Then again, his images week-in and week-out prove that he doesn't need any of my tips!

In any case, it was great to tag along with a "real" wedding photographer. In just one day, I learned not only learned countless tips and tricks for shooting weddings, but also was able to take in different ideas and approaches to every situation. I can't wait to put all this new knowledge to use when I shoot my weddings in 2007! Anyways, here is some selects from Santa Barbara (note to Chris: some cropping may be necessary to achieve these results!). Let's start off with the bride getting ready:





I didn't really shoot much of the ceremony because I wasn't the main guy, but here are some stuff from the "formal" portrait sessions and reception:






Lookin' good, huh? Well, it's still nothing compared to the master!

1 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Jerry! We love your pictures of our wedding - I especially love the picture of Lynn and her sister, AShley! Thank you for posting some of them... Morgan really enjoyed your website - poured over all the sports photos. We loved meeting you.... Terry F.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home