Monday, April 09, 2007

Swedish Glass Artists

Wow, it sure has been a long time since I've updated this, haven't I? To be honest, there hasn't been a whole lot going on. The Big Ten Tournament effectively ended my basketball season (since I don't shoot the NBA), and hockey was pretty much over with. That's not to say I've had nothing to shoot. As far as sports go, I've been shooting plenty of lacrosse: both with the Shamrox and #1 ranked Northwestern Wildcats. I will show some of my images in a future post.

But I've been shooting a bunch of news and feature type stuff the past few weeks. About a week ago, I was given the great honor of covering an exhibition opening at the Rockford Art Museum. Bertil Vallien and Ulrica Hydman-Vallien, a husband-wife team from Sweden, are internationally acclaimed glass artists. However, their HE & SHE exhibition in Rockford is the first time in about 30 years that they have hosted a joint exhibition of this size (10,000 sq ft exhibition!).

Now this particular shoot really is a new type of photography for me. Technically, this assignment was a public relations/corporate assignment. Basically it means I'm shooting right off a "laundry list" of items, including an isolated photograph of a majority of the work, like the glass head you see below.





I love how all of Vallien's work was in a darkened room, with the work a spotlight illuminating each piece. The results were pretty cool looking, but wasn't really that difficult or overly exciting to get. It was also pretty time consuming! How many pieces of work do you think you can stuff in a 10,000 sq ft exhibition hall? Yeah, lots.

When that was all done, the gallery was officially open to the public. This is where I was able to shoot in a more documentary/news/feature type style that I know and love instead of the bland, cookie-cutter type style that is commercial/public relations photography.






All in all, I had a great time helping out the city of Rockford and shooting their gallery exhibition. The staff was fantastic to work with, and if asked to help out on future projects, I would not hesitate to make the 75-mile drive out there! If you are interested in seeing the HE & SHE exhibition, the works of Vallien and Hydman-Vallien will be on display at the Rockford Art Museum until July 8, 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home