Monday, January 22, 2007

Next Stop: SUPER BOWL!

Ahhhh, yes, the "Law of Vegas Betting" was in full effect yesterday, and it is a beautiful thing. Basically, that law states that in a championship game, if large majority bettors pick one team compared to the other, the team less picked will win that game. Similarly, if sports reporters unanimously agree that one team will win, the other team will end up winning that game. Don't believe me? Some notable examples:

- Ohio State was supposed to beat Florida in the '07 BCS Game. Florida won.
- Oklahoma was supposed to trash Boise State in the '07 Fiesta Bowl. BSU won.
- The Rams were 14-point favorites against the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVI. The Pats won.
- Or how about the Miracle on Ice???

And most recently.... the Chicago Bears and the New Orleans Saints in the 2007 NFC Championship Game. Almost every so called "expert" picked N'aww Lenns to win this game, but instead, the Monsters of the Midway turned the game into a stunning 39-14 blowout at Soldier Field in Chicago! Next stop: SUPER BOWL!



Now I've been photographing football for a couple of years now, and being in Chicago, it's pretty surprising that I have yet to shoot a football game in the snow. The forcast for Sunday's game was "clear for the first half, but 2-4 inches of snow in the second half." As a sports photographer, I actually welcome bad weather, because it adds an extra element to the photos. There's more muck flying all over the place, jerseys get extra dirty, and not to mention you get all that cool looking rain/snow in the background! So when the snow finally came, it was a beautiful thing.







So I got all those sweet shots of our modern gladiators under the lights and in the snow, but I didn't get take any of myself while on the sidelines during timeouts. Although I will never forget the noise and all the sights of January 21, 2007, I'm kind of kicking myself about not getting a photo of me out there, because it was just so perfect and pretty. The full crowd, the players huddled on the field, and oh, that glorious snow, lit up under the bright stadium lights. The reason why I didn't was because I think I was kind of afraid to. I don't usually photograph myself (at least not during the game), because I think a lot of the jaded "old-timers" in the business would give me funny looks and just see me as some "newbie." Sounds stupid, I know. Oh well.... next snowy NFC Chamionship game, right?

Anyways, early Vegas lines and football analysts say Colts by 7... will the "Law of Vegas Betting" be upheld? I guess we'll find out in two weeks! GO BEARS!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Humphreys said...

Sweet! Love the shots Jerry!

You're right, the snow totally adds a great element!! I love these!

Dude, next year bring me, I'll get all the shots of you you want on the sidelines! :)

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home