Sunday, June 03, 2007

Chicago Sky

In one of my recent posts, I had mentioned that I was done with shooting basketball until next season. But I was wrong and I ended up shooting a Bulls game. Well, you know what? I was wrong again. I forgot all about the Chicago Sky, a WNBA team that plays at the UIC Pavilion and I ended up shooting their 78-72 victory over the winless Minnesota Lynx last night.



It might not be the most politically correct thing in the world, but every time I think about women's basketball, I think back to the TV show Futurama. In one episode, the characters land on a planet inhabited by giant Amazon women. They eventually come upon a basketball court and the women explained: "We no can dunk, but good fundamentals... more fun to watch anyways." Of course, the main character Fry replies with a loud "HAHAHAHA." Fry was pretty candid, but he's probably right too: women's basketball is a a bit irrelevant, especially in a city that already has five mainstream professional franchises (Bulls, Bears, Blackhawks, Cubs, and Sox).

Now, I don't follow the league (nor any other professional womens' league), but don't get me wrong, women athletes are just as dedicated to their games any other person, and many of them are undoubtedly just as athletically gifted as their male counterparts. As a result, despite the crappy attendance numbers and TV ratings, the games still make for some nice pictures:





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home