Thursday, August 24, 2006

PGA Championships

I was busy shooting the PGA Championships for almost the entire week last week, and it was quite the experience. I mean, it's only one of the biggest golf tournaments on the planet!

It's also one of the most physically exhausting sports to shoot. Think about it. You're walking the entire course at least once, usually twice (so about 5-8 miles). Now try doing that with a 400 f/2.8 on one camera, and a 70-200 f/2.8 on another camera, and a fanny pack stuffed with a 1.4x converter, 24-70, and a couple bottles of water.

Now I was a bit nervous going into the event because I don't shoot a whole lot of golf... and certainly nothing quite as prestigious as the PGA Championships! Sure, I could have played it "safe" and just followed players hitting out of the tee box and putting, but come on, where's the fun in that? Besides, that would be as boring as shooting tennis if I did that and lead to a whole lot of uninteresting photos (and thus not ever be hired to shoot the PGA again). That said, golf presented a challenge that other sports don't really have in that I had to think really hard about all my shots, trying to find different and unusual angles/views to make my images as interesting as possible.





Overall, I think the entire weekend went pretty well. Now, I'm not a big golf fan, but I'll admit, it was pretty exciting to be there and see Tiger Woods just absolutely dominate and put away all his competition on the last day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home