Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Jenn and Avery

Earlier in the year, I was asked if I shot weddings. Yes, most of the work that I do is sports, but weddings has been something I have been moving more and more into. Yes, they're pretty high pressure, and yes, they're ridiculous amounts of work, but it's pretty neat for me to do them once in a while as a change of pace. Crazy as it sounds, sports do get old after a while, even for the fanatics like myself.



Anyways, on August 6, 2006, Avery and Jenn were married at Hotel 71 in downtown Chicago, IL. Both the wedding and the reception were held in the hotel's 39th floor, in a fancy little ballroom with windows on three sides (with fantastic views of the Chicago River and the Loop). Of course, all that open space meant that lighting conditions were pretty darn tricky (what wedding doesn't have tricky lighting?) because of huge backlighting. However, the backlighting actually ended up being a blessing, because I used it to give the very photogenic couple an incredible "heavenly "glow. I don't think I could have asked for those images to turn out any better.



After the ceremony, I did the portraits out in the city, right near Hotel 71, mostly on Wacker Drive. I was too spoiled that Sunday. For those of you who know the city, you know that the view in every direction in that part of Chicago is absolutely fantastic. However, I took the advice of one of my buddies and full-time California wedding photographer Chris Humphreys and mixed in something different as well... adding contrast between the subject and background by using atypical backgrounds such as streets and even back alleys as backdrops.



So in a nutshell, that was the wedding. Like I said, I don't shoot very many of these, so I always forget how much work they are. Besides the 8-10 hours of shooting the day of (and the constant running around and not very much time to eat, if at all), there's the whole image editing thing... which actually is where most of the work involved is. Between me and my assistant, I think we took just over 2,100 frames, all in RAW format (but since I was running the show, I did all the editing). Uhhh, yeah. That's a lot. In the end, I think I whittled it down to about 225 nice frames. And it only took me three days to do it... I'd say that's pretty good! Especially since I worked a Sox game Tuesday night and a Bears practice Wednesday night!

Well, unless things change, that's it for me as far as weddings/engagements go in 2006. I've got a couple slated for 2007, but til' then, it's back to sports and features :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home