Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jenn and Avery

Well, I took a break from the usual today and shot an engagement session! Yes, about 95% of the work that I do is editorial - mostly sports, and to a lesser extent features and spot news, but once in a while, I'll get a job like this. Usually I end up doing jobs like this because they involve people I know, who know that I'm a photographer and end up convinced that I'll do a good job. I usually use the spiel that weddings and sports really aren't that different, as far as good photography is concerned:

For one, we're always looking for good, clean, or unique/photogenic backgrounds to shoot into. For two, and probably most importantly, we have to capture "the moment" the instant it happens.

I can't really say which field is the tougher field, since I don't have a whole lot of wedding experience. In a way, weddings are much easier because they're mapped out from start to finish. For the most part, you know when everything is going to happen, and can plan accordingly. Get your lens choices and settings all worked out before the event. Sports, on the other hand, is very random and you don't always know exactly what's going to happen and when. But if you miss a sports shot, no big deal, other than getting an earful from the editor and feeling annoyed at yourself for doing so. If you miss a wedding shot.... hooo boy.

Anyways, Jenn and Avery were great to work with this morning. We went out to Grant Park in Chicago and took most of our photos there. It was sunny out, so I didn't have to fiddle around with lighting a whole lot, unless we went into the shade. They were very spontaneous, and I didn't have to really pose them much, if at all. After about 90 minutes of wandering around, shooting in a bunch of different spots in the park, we were all done.

Their wedding date is August 6, 2006 in downtown Chicago, IL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home