Friday, July 16, 2010

In the past year...

Hello again.... so after nearly a year off of the blog, I'm back! A lot has happened in the past year: I was offered a job with the Chicago Blackhawks. I turned down a job with the Blackhawks. I was offered a promotion with US Presswire. I accepted the promotion with US Presswire. I went to the Vancouver Winter Olympics. I edited yet another Final Four, Super Bowl, BCS Championship, and not one, but TWO MLB All-Star Games. The Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. I will not be receiving a very expensive and gaudy championship ring...

I really do wish I kept up with this blog, and I regret not doing a daily Olympic blog like I did for the 2008 Beijing Games, but I had to take a break for personal reasons. Oh well. So here's the highlight package from the past year....

So in most of my travels, I go as an on-site photo editor. One of the responsibilities as the photo editor is to help push photos from our photographers to our clients as quickly as possible. But before all that happens, the editor has to run up to the highest point in the stadium and get the overall of the venue. This is what it looked like at the 2009 MLB All-Star Game in St. Louis.



Fast forward to February, and we arrive at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. Like the Beijing Olympics, I had the pleasure of being able to go to the games as a photographer, as opposed to solely a photo editor. For the Vancouver games, I was based in Whistler, and mostly shot alpine and nordic skiing. My favorite events to shoot by far was the alpine skiing and chasing USA's top medal hopeful Lindsey Vonn. She started off the games with a gold in the downhill, but crashed out in pretty much every race after that. Basically an alpine skiing version of Ricky Bobby. Wooooooo! First or last, baby!




After the Olympics were over, it was time for playoff hockey. The Chicago Blackhawks had a great run through the playoffs and won the ultimate prize - the Stanley Cup. I went into the playoffs with mixed emotions... I was obviously happy for my home town team, but am somewhat annoyed that I lost out on the opportunity to own a Stanley Cup championship ring. Oh well, in the long run, I am probably better off where I am now anyways.




So in the Stanley Cup Finals, I once again played the editor while on the road. But I did manage to come away with a shot of the Stanley Cup clinching goal. The reason I was able to shoot Kane's goal was because in the last five minutes of the game (regardless of score), the NHL requires a photographer to be in position at the ice level entrance to shoot any potential victory ceremony. Obviously we didn't want to leave a premium ice position open, so the solution is just to have the editor (me) replace the photographer. I had no idea (along with everyone else in the arena) that Kane's shot went in, until I looked in the back of my camera. Who needs instant replay?




So that's the past year in a nutshell. For the next month or so, it'll just be Cubs and White Sox until NFL training camp and the new football season begins!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home