Friday, August 01, 2008

Lollapalooza Kickoff Show

Lollapalooza is back in Chicago, but this will be the first time I have ever covered it in any capacity. Yesterday night, I was sent out to the Apple Store to shoot this year's kickoff show featuring Black Kids, Foals, and the Kills. Heard of any of them? No? Well, not even my entertainment assignment editor had heard of them, but apparently all these people have!



The two ladies who were at the front of the line said they had been waiting for the 7pm show since 11 in the morning!



The first band up was Black Kids. I find it very ironic that the band actually has more white people in it than black people. But maybe that's the point. I dunno. However, out of the three bands that played, I liked their music the best.




The second band was a band from England, called the Foals. They had a very strange set up, as far as bands are concerned. Usually, all the band members are lined up on stage, facing out towards the crowd, however for the Foals, they were all lined up facing each other. The problem with that, was that you could never get a shot of all five band members facing the same direction (and thus, not see everybody's face) unless a couple people happen to spin around at the same time. Yeah, I don't think that ever happened...




The last band... if you can call it a band - there are only two people in it... was the Kills. I think the guitarist (who is dating Kate Moss... who was not present btw) is English, but the vocalist is American. I liked the vocalist's expressions and how her hair would fall and frame her face, and tried to go in tight with some shots.



So that was my latest experience with entertainment and concert photography. I'm sure there will be more in the future. Anyways, this is my last post before my trip to Beijing. I hope to be updating from the Olympics pretty regularly (assuming the Great Firewall of China doesn't block me), so check back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home