Saturday, July 19, 2008

Midsummer Classic

This past week, I made my first-ever trip to New York City to help cover the 79th annual MLB All-Star Game. I am glad I was able to make this trip, because this is the last season that games will be played in Yankee Stadium, which is often called the "Cathedral of Baseball" (although as a Chicagoan, I would argue that Wrigley Field is the real cathedral of baseball). I'm not sure if they are knocking down the stadium after the season, but they will be playing in this building next year, which will also be called Yankee Stadium:



Anyways, in my ever-evolving role with the company, I was not there to do a lot of shooting. Instead, I was there to on-site edit. I have been doing this a lot recently, as I have traveled to edit at the Final Four, the NHL All-Star game, the NHL Stanley Cup Finals, the BCS Championship, and probably some other big events I am leaving out. It's not a glorious position, but it is an essential one in order for us to compete with the big dogs. So basically, I sit in the basement or under the stands of of these venues, take the memory cards from our photographers and edit their photos and transmit them to our website in real time.

It sounds kind of ridiculous to have someone on-site to do all of this, but in the age of 15 minute (or less) news cycles, transmitting speed is the number one priority and having a fast, efficient editor who pays attention to the game is not a luxury... it is a necessity!

All that said, I was able to shoot a few photos. Not anything of the actual games, but just your standard "editor photos." So editor photos end up being the shots that photographers aren't able to get to (because they are stuck in their photo boxes and leaving them will cost them too much time and make them miss too much game action), or aren't as interested in (feature type stuff from BP).






Would I rather be shooting the actual games? Well sure, I was a photographer first, an editor second. But regardless of how well I think I can shoot, I realize that my new role with the company - especially in this day and age - is more important than what I can do individually as a photographer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude is that a B2 in that last picture???

Didn't know the AF was about to declare open war on Brooklyn....

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jerry said...

Yes, that is a B2 bomber as it performed a flyover during the national anthem.

It was actually pretty weak. It was slow moving and quiet. I prefer my national anthem flyovers to consist of a squadron of F-22 Raptors with afterburners on and blowing everybody's ears out.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that is a bummer about the B2 being quiet, I think it has something to do with being... you know... like stealth and everything. :)

I actually did know it was in the Bronx... don't know why I typed Brooklyn.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home