Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Chicago in Chicago

About two weeks ago, I shot the legendary rock band Chicago as they made a stop in Chicago for a free public concert at Northerly Island. They were in town performing live on CBS' "The Early Show" as part of CBS' Summer Concert Tour?

'The Early Show?' Isn't that, like, really early? Yes it is. The show airs from 8-10 am central time, but they were telling all fans and media to show up at 6am so that everyone could be in place. I actually have never been up to the Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island (in fact, I didn't even know it existed) so I really didn't know what to expect: how big, how many people, what the view is like (although being on the lake, I figured it'd be really scenic).

Even though the concert was free, the turnout was not all that great. Having a concert that early on a work day will do that to the crowd. However, the fans who did show up were very loud and vocal, and the band obviously appreciated their turnout and helped entertain them in the two hours before they went live on national TV.




8am finally rolled around, and the band started working through some of their greatest hits. I started off down right next to the stage so that I could get some shots of the band members performing.




Because I had no idea how long the band was going to perform for, after I got a few shots, I ran up to the top of the bleachers to do some overall shots of the band performing with the city in the background. It was not an easy shot to do, because there were not nearly enough people to fill the 7,500 person venue. So tried to frame my shots in such a way that I was not showing too many empty bleachers, but it was kind of futile. Oh well, it was a perfect morning weather wise, so at least the blue skies made for pretty photos.




The concert itself was a bit frustrating. Because the Early Show is a news show, and not an entertainment show, the band only really played their songs in 1-2 minute intervals.... as intros into commercials and fade outs to commercials. You could tell the crowd was getting a bit frustrated at not being able to hear entire songs. So I think to make up for it, near the end of the show, they marched through the audience as they performed, and finished their march by climbing onto the Early Show stage!




After that, they played one or two more songs, thanked their fans, and everybody went on their way to start their days (or if they were like me, went back to sleep).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home