Friday, November 09, 2007

IFL World Grand Prix

About a week ago, an assignment editor called and left a message on my phone asking if I was available to cover the IFL World Grand Prix. When I got that message, I'll admit, I was a little nervous and hesitant to return the call and say yes. Why? Because I have never shot a racing event before. Not NASCAR, not Indy cars, not even go carts at a local carnival. However, because it was Getty Images calling, I wasn't just going to turn the event down due to lack of racing experience. Afterall, it couldn't possibly be that hard to pick up, right? So I Googled the event to see what I was in for. It turns out the IFL World Grand Prix is not a racing event... it was a mixed martial arts event. So apparently IFL is short for the International Fight League, and for some reason, they were out at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, IL. Hmmmm..... can't say I've shot that before either, although unlike with a potential racing gig, I was not worried about not being able to create solid images from an IFL event. After all, I've shot boxing and wrestling before, so how hard can it really be to go to an arena and photograph a bunch of crazies beating the living crap out of each other?

So after accepting the assignment, a couple of random thoughts popped into my head:

- Why would the IFL want to come to Chicago? And since they are in Chicago, why did they pick a venue in Hoffman Estates? That community is a bit more blue collar than maybe some of the surrounding suburbs like Barrington, but it certainly isn't going to be mistaken for a redneck community. (answer: probably because everywhere else said no)
- Is the IFL real like boxing, or fake like WWF? (answer: real)
- Why does Getty care to even cover this, let alone send three photographers AND an editor to this event? (answer: they have a contract to be the official IFL photographers)
- Do any women actually come and watch something like this? (answer: surprisingly, yes)

Anyways, onto the actual event. Like I said, I've shot boxing and wrestling before, so I'm not new to photographing events that pit two combatants in a ring, or circle, or whatever and have them go beat each other up. However, it was slightly more challenging than a typical boxing match. The big difference is that photographers are not allowed right on the ropes like they are in boxing (too dangerous I guess). Instead, we are set about 2 feet behind the ropes.



The problem with being away from the ropes is that they can sometimes creep into your photo (see above), especially when the action gets close to you.

As far as the actual fights went, it was pretty straight forward. Like I said, it's just two guys absolutely wailing on each other. As far as I could tell, there were not really any rules except for the following:

- 3 rounds, 4 min each.
- No biting or scratching. Only punching, kicking, body slamming, etc.



- If punched or kicked in the crotch, the official stops the match and lets you regroup.



- You win when you knock someone out, force somebody to concede (they tap the mat to concede or "tap out"), or win by decision after the three rounds are up, and the previous two scenarios have not happened.




It was really kinda interesting to see. I can't figure out why anybody would ever be an athlete in the IFL.... my only theory is that it's like a primal thing. As violent as the sport is, I'm sure a lot of the athletes are really nice guys in the real world.... getting in the ring against another human being is just a kind of a way to let the animal inside of you out. Although I suppose playing football, lacrosse, or hockey could probably accomplish the same thing.... and with less brain damage...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home